Networker

[Networker] Problem with a tape label

2005-07-26 10:48:17
Subject: [Networker] Problem with a tape label
From: Stan Horwitz <Stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 10:44:48 -0400
My NetWorker server and tape library are a few blocks away so its a bit of a pain for me to visually inspect our tape library and I am hoping to find a way to avoid that on this hot day. I have a tape that's one of several hundred in my tape library that NetWorker 7.1..3 (under Solaris 9) refuses to deal with. Last night, NetWorker tried to label this tape and it failed and kept retrying. I intervened from home by labeling a different tape into the appropriate tape pool.

After I got to work this morning, I tried to manually label the troublesome tape with nsrjb -L and it failed. NetWorker said the tape was already labeled. I tried to inventory just that tape, but NetWorker says it has no label. Doing an "nsrjb -C" shows no label on the tape in question. If I try to mount the tape via "nsrjb -l -R" I get an error that says it cannot be labeled because "Unknown pool" is not available. So I created a tape pool called "Unknown pool" and I got the same response when I tried to load the tape. I am trying to figure out what label is on this tape so I can remove it from the media database.

How do I resolve this issue remotely? I know there's a way to identify the printed label on a tape, but damned if I don't remember how. I tried "nsrjb -p" but that also complained about the "unknown pool."