Networker

Re: [Networker] How do you configure single saveset stream on multiple tapes?

2005-06-27 12:12:19
Subject: Re: [Networker] How do you configure single saveset stream on multiple tapes?
From: Dave Mussulman <mussulma AT CS.UIUC DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 11:11:28 -0500
On Fri, Jun 24, 2005 at 07:21:09PM -0400, Raph wrote:
> How do you configure single saveset stream on multiple tapes.  The
> majority of our data is a 2.0 tb NTFS file system.  At the root are almost
> 1200 folders.  This poses an issue when it comes to utilizing the 4 Tape
> drives simultaneously. There is no simple way to break this up into save
> sets, as they are constantly being added and removed as projects come and
> go.   Do you know of anyway to make networker use all 4 drives?

The short answer is you cannot stream a single saveset to multiple
concurrent devices.  You can redefine the saveset in the client
configuration into multiple savesets, and then parallelism settings for
the system/pool/drive/client kick in.  So, instead of backing up 'All',
enumerate all the drives you wanted backed up except the large one, and
split the large drive into multiple saveset directories:

S:\set1
S:\set2
S:\set3

Then, make sure the parallelism is set high enough on the client to back
all of them up at the same time (with the assumption the client can
handle that,) and adjust the rest of the parallelism settings so that
they go to different drives.

As to how to split them up, probably the best idea to to make 2-3 (or
how ever many parallel savesets you want,) new top level directories in
that drive, and move the 1200 subdirectories underneath them.  That way,
you only have to list the top level directories in the client config and
not worry about the files under them changing.  (Just beware that when
you add a new top level directory you'll need to update the client
config because there wouldn't be any S:\ saveset to catch it.)

Dave