Networker

Re: [Networker] Restore questions

2005-06-16 18:47:21
Subject: Re: [Networker] Restore questions
From: "Werth, Dave" <dave.werth AT GARMIN DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 17:46:15 -0500
Stan (or anyone),

Questions, comments interspersed below.

Thanks, Dave

David Werth
Garmin AT, Inc
Salem, Oregon
dave.werth AT garmin DOT com

-----Original Message-----
From: Stanley Horwitz [mailto:stan AT temple DOT edu]
Sent: Thursday, June 16, 2005 2:18 PM
To: Legato NetWorker discussion; Werth, Dave

>You should do a saveset recover, which is not what you described. A
>saveset
>recover is the fastest option because NetWorker does not need to hit
>its database
>for each file that needs to be restored.

DFW - Any idea how much faster a saveset recover is?  If it's only 5% or so
it's probably not worth stopping what we've got going to restart it.  If
it's 25% or more then maybe it is.  Any thoughts?

>This won't help you now, but you should look at the possibility of
>upgrading
>the network connection on both the client and the NetWorker server to
>gigabit
>ethernet if your network can handle that speed.

DFW- I doubt gigabit would help much in this situation because the drives
we're restoring from have a maximum speed of about 6 MEG/second.  There
isn't enough other network traffic to have much of an effect.

use of the intended recipient.  If you are not the intended recipient, please
be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this e-mail or
any attachment is prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in error,
Thank you for your cooperation