Networker

Re: [Networker] Restore questions

2005-06-16 17:28:41
Subject: Re: [Networker] Restore questions
From: "Fields, David" <David.Fields AT ACS-INC DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 17:27:52 -0400
Dave,

The speed of the restore does sound like it's going a bit slowly, but it
could be affected by several factors.  One thing that will affect it is the
way Legato interleaves data on the tapes during backups.  For example, if
you have several backups (from several servers) running at the same time,
Networker "interleaves" data chunks from each backup as it's writing to
tape.  While this is great for speedy backups, it can slow down restore
procedures.  If you backed up the server by specifying the "all" save set as
for the backup job, then the data from each "drive" is interleaved on the
tape.

I think (but not sure since I've never had to do a full disaster recovery),
that when you do a restore, the user program will serialize the restores.
This means that it will restore the D: drive, then the E: drive, then F:,
for example.  What this means for the restore, is that it will de-interlace
all the data for the D: drive, then the E: drive, and so on.  Depending on
how you do your backups, this could take a while (ie, you did a full backup
several weeks ago, and incrementals every night since then).

Hope this helps.