Networker

[Networker] MSSQL Differential Backup

2005-06-13 12:37:41
Subject: [Networker] MSSQL Differential Backup
From: Phil Gaitan <pgaitan AT RACKSPACE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 09:36:09 -0700
I've got a question on how Legato backs up MSSQL databases.  It was
always my understanding that Legato did 'row by row' differentials so
that only pages that changed were backed up on a 'diff' and not the
whole database.  I'm having an issue were one of my customer's databases
appears to be getting a 'full' every night even though Legato shows it
as a diff.

Does Legato backup the whole database if a cell has changed, or is it a
row or even a table?  According to Legato's MSSQL manual it says:

Select one or more databases to create a database level differential
backup of only the changes made to the selected
databases since the last full level backup was created.

I don't know if this means the entire DB gets backed up, or just a row
etc..

Thanks,

Philip Gaitan