Networker

Re: [Networker] DAR recovery

2005-06-08 14:56:18
Subject: Re: [Networker] DAR recovery
From: Stan Sander <ssande AT SANDIA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 12:55:25 -0600
On Wed, 8 Jun 2005, Darren Dunham wrote:

> I just attached a jukebox to a Netapp (running 6.4.3).  The Master
> Linux box is running 7.2.
>
> Everything went pretty well.  Jukebox is controllable, the initial full
> backup seemed to go fine.  However while testing a restore, I got
> this...
>
>  Performing recover from NDMP type of device
>  Opened the tape device : nrst1a
>  Performing non-DAR Recovery..
>
> Hmm.  I want DAR here.  So I went through the manual again and realized
> that I had left the DIRECT=y off the client.  Now the client looks like
> this...  (it had the HIST and UPDATE already set during the backup).
>

>            backup command: nsrndmp_save -T dump;
>                      ndmp: Yes;
>  application information : HIST=y, UPDATE=y, DIRECT=y;
>
> However, that change didn't seem to allow me to perform a DAR recovery.
> I have indexes for the backup.  Is there anything else I need to have in
> place so that I can have DAR kick in for the recovery?

For NDMP backups the parameters for the backup are stored with it in some
way.  Therefore since your full did not have DAR, the restores from that
backup will not have DAR either.  Now that you have DAR enabled, if you do
another backup, the DAR will kick in on a restore from that backup.

--
Stan Sander - CSU Special Projects  (505)284-4915
ASAP, LLC, Contractor assigned to Sandia National Laboratories

Microsoft: You've got questions. We've got a dancing paperclip.