Networker

Re: [Networker] Problem recovering SQL data across a firewall

2005-06-03 12:49:47
Subject: Re: [Networker] Problem recovering SQL data across a firewall
From: Eric Wagar <eric AT DEADHOOKERS DOT ORG>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 09:45:09 -0700
We've run into an issue recovering  alarge (around 27GB) MS SQL database
across a firewall between a Windows 2003 box in production behind a
Check-Point firewall and a Windows 2000 server that we use just for test
purposes. Our Legato server is Power Edition on a Sun Solaris 9 box with
a Sony PetaSite and S-AIT tape drives connected to our v480 server via
fibre channel. All of our network equipment comes from Nortel.

I have a call open with Legato on this issue. As far as I know, our network administrators have a call open with Nortel on this issue. So far, nothing more than head scratching has taken place since we first discovered this issue a
few weeks ago.

When a colleague of mine tries to do a test recover of a 27GB SQL DB across our firewall, the recover proceeds for a couple of hours. During this time, I believe the SQL module is building the tables and other infrastructure to house the recovered data on the target server. After that phase of the recover is done, it just dies with a connection error in the target client's daemon log and in the
NetWorker server's daemon.log. We see no other errors.

When the same equipment is used to recover a large set of non-SQL files
across the same firewall, the recover succeeds. When my colleague attempts to recover small SQL databases in the same conditions, those recovers also succeed. The kicker is that when we can recover the same large SQL database if we do the recover to a target server that resides in the same subnet where our
NetWorker sever resides.

If anyone has any thoughts on where we should look to resolve this issue, or where our network administrators should look, I would be grateful to hear from you. Fortunately, we are doing this only for DR testing purposes, but we do need
to get this to work in case a real DR takes place.

So, this is the setup:
W2003 - 192.168.1.x
Firewall
W2K - 192.168.2.x
Sol9/BU - 192.168.3.x

Works:
Recover to 192.168.3.x net

Doesn't Work:
W2003 save to Sol9/BU.  Then a recover is started from W2K to Sol9/BU?

How big are the MSSQL files? What version of Networker (client, server, and module)? Is there some type of firewall between the Sol9/BU and W2K servers?

eric