Networker

Re: [Networker] Staging question...

2005-06-02 04:32:40
Subject: Re: [Networker] Staging question...
From: "Maarten Boot (CWEU-USERS/CWNL)" <Maarten.Boot AT NL.COMPUWARE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 10:28:30 +0200
In addition to Terrys response,

You can also (next to the high and low watermark) set a check interval. These
fields become visible if you select the details flag in the GUI.

If you expect that during regular backups the target disks may fill to 100%
and you want more frequent staging to occur, set the check intervals smaller.

Currently at my site they are all around 1 hour, as my disks are not that big
and we do laptop backups to disk first, and stage them later to tape.

By the way the fact that these check intervals are there suggest that there is
no automatic detection of the watermark in place. It has to be explicitly
checked at regular intervals hence the possibility of not automatically
staging if a watermark is reached by a backup stream.

Also if the disk fills with only 1 data-stream then staging cannot take place
at all as only completed savesets can be staged.

Maarten

On Wednesday 01 June 2005 22:47, Ken Kleiner wrote:
> Hi...
>
>    I'm a newbie in regards to staging so I was wondering if you could
> help.
>
>    We backup to disk and then plan to stage to tape.  When an adv_file
> backup disk device fills up, when would I expect
> the staging to start?  Is it based on the parameters set in the
> customize/staging for high water , or which?
>
>     Today our adv_file device filled up 100%, and I did a 'start now'
> for the 'stage all save sets' while the backup was running, but
> nothing happened.  I then stopped the backup and did a start now and
> things are now staging.
>
>     How would this normally work?  I.e. would I expect it to see high
> water mark was exceeded during a file system check and THEN start
> the staging?
>
>     Thanks in advance...
>
> <><  ><> <><  ><> <><  ><> <><  ><> <><  ><> <><
>
> Ken Kleiner
> System Manager
> Computer Science Department
> Umass Lowell
>
> --
> to listserv AT listserv.temple DOT edu or visit the list's Web site at
> http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/networker.html where you can
> also view and post messages to the list. Questions regarding this list
> should be sent to stan AT temple DOT edu

Maarten Boot,
Compuware Europe B.V.
Hoogoorddreef 5
1101 BA Amsterdam