Networker

Re: [Networker] We're getting closer

2005-06-02 00:20:37
Subject: Re: [Networker] We're getting closer
From: Ken Gehring <kgehring AT MYREALBOX DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 22:15:39 -0600
Just thought it was time for an update on how we are making out.
Bottom line is, Networker is a lot more stable now. We only reboot
about every 4 or 5 days now (much better than 2 or 3 times a day).
What we have now:
1) 2 LSI dual channel SCSI cards with 2 tapes per channel and we are using
the sym53c8xx_2 module
2) Internal Adaptec controller for the picker with the aic7xxx module
3) RHAS 3.0 with the 2.4.21-20.ELsmp kernel (needed for compatibility with
our HDS SAN)
4) Storagetek L80 silo with 4 SDLT and 4 SDLT320 dives (don't ask)
All the Y cables (along with a couple of drives) and external cables and
terminators have been replaced.
5) Upgrade from Networker 6.1.4 to 7.1.3 (with current patches)

All in all we are fairly happy and at least we don't have to monitor the
damn thing
24 hours a day and scheduled reboots over weekends do help ;-)

The last of our problems (and what makes us do the reboots) is losing track
of a drive
at the o/s and hence the Networker level. It only seems to happen with tapes
that are
near full capacity and the o/s seems to lose track of the drive when
skipping forward
more than 130 files.

Other than that, we are getting to be happy campers. Once again, thanks to
all of
you. We've gleaned a lot of info from a lot of the posts.

Ken