Networker

Re: [Networker] Tape drive recommendations

2005-06-01 18:07:15
Subject: Re: [Networker] Tape drive recommendations
From: "Browning, David" <DBrown AT LSUHSC DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 17:06:31 -0500
We went from DLT4000 to LTO-2, and there is a dramatic difference in speed
and how much data can be put on a tape.

However, if you are looking at LTO-3's, you need to look at whether or not
you can actual push the data that fast.   Unless you have a lot of machines
connected via fiber or via Gigabit, you are going to find it hard to reach
the rated speed of LTO-3.  It's a discussion that we are having right now as
we decide what to do the next time we order drives.  LTO-3's will give you
twice as much storage, even if you can't push the drive to it's maximum
rated speed, so that's something else to consider.

David M. Browning Jr.
LSUHSC Enterprise Network Operations/Help Desk
(504) 568-4364 - Direct
(504) 914-7550 - Cell