Networker

Re: [Networker] Incremental backups are to big for no reason on Window clients.

2005-05-23 11:03:12
Subject: Re: [Networker] Incremental backups are to big for no reason on Window clients.
From: Dave Mussulman <mussulma AT CS.UIUC DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 09:56:39 -0500
On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 12:04:02PM +0100, Andrew Watkins wrote:
> Still having problems with my Incremental backups still backing upfiles
> which have not been modified in days or weeks.
>
> I thought "mtimeasm" directives would fix it but I guess it is not that or
> it does not work on Windows computers.
>
> What I have noticed:
> - Files which have been ADDED since FULL back are being backed up every day!
>
> - Files which have been ALTERED since FULL backup are being backed up every
> day!
>
> Does any one have any ideas!!!

It involves the archive bit, which Networker looks at to decide if it
should take a backup or not, but only resets it after a backup if the
backup is a full.  It seems like buggy/quirky behavior, but as I
understand it there are ways to copy files to a Windows server that
time properties alone would not pickup the new file.  There's a file you
can create on the client that will tell Networker not to look at the
archive bit and just use the filenames.  I think that file is called
NSR_IGNORE_ARCHIVE but search the list archives to be sure.

Dave