Networker

Re: [Networker] 2005 EMC Technology Summit

2005-05-19 11:02:36
Subject: Re: [Networker] 2005 EMC Technology Summit
From: Stanley Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 11:00:24 -0400
On May 18, 2005, at 11:17 PM, Siobhan Ellis wrote:

Stan,

I e the Product manager for NMC until late 2003, and was in EMC until late 2004. I was responsible for NMC 3.0 and 3.1(the current release). I can tell you that the new GUI is based on NMC, which is Java based. It is a Java web start application, rather than an applet. It is now being bundled free with every new Network & Power Edition NetWorker server. It is availabel, today, on Windows & Solaris, I believe the intention is to certify Linux as well. As it is a Java 1.4.2 application, it should work with any implementation of Java 1.4.2 that supports Webstart. I can tell you that before I left, I tried it with OpenVMS and, with a little work, it worked on that OS. NMC is based on the Windows GUI for functionality, but is missing a couple of items, one of which is saveset restore. However, it also has some great enhancements, I say modestly, such as the drive list is by Hardware Id, so if you have 10 systems sharing 4 drives, you don't see 40 devices, as you do with Windows a!

This is wonderful news! That resource copying feature would be a welcome addition! Most of my client entries are almost identical in their configuration, so being able to copy an old entry to create a new entry with a different client name would be a very good thing!