Networker

Re: [Networker] Solaris tuning for NetWorker 7.1.3

2005-05-06 07:57:18
Subject: Re: [Networker] Solaris tuning for NetWorker 7.1.3
From: "Maarten Boot (CWEU-USERS/CWNL)" <Maarten.Boot AT NL.COMPUWARE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 13:50:44 +0200
Just to recap,

Network = 1G that means max 80GB/s towards the server.
San to S-AIT(234?) what is the max speed there both comressed and uncompressed
(can be tested with a local large file)
What kind of clients also 1G net, what kind of data (large files, many small)

All those factors influence the client speed and therefore the backup speed.

In my environment  Sol9 E450 2x400Mhz CPU 1 GB mem, I see the highest
throughput on cloning as that does not use any network at all. LTO-2 on
LSi320 scsi gives me 40M/sec on average while normal backups vary strongly
according to the data on the client but (as my network is basically 100M full
duplex) never more than 10M/sec.

Hope this helps a bit,

Maarten

On Thursday 05 May 2005 17:40, Stan Horwitz wrote:
> We're running our NetWorker server on a Sun v480 with 2GB RAM and two CPU
> boards in it. We are seeing performance (i.e., throughput) that is lower
> than what I would expect, even with doing backups of servers on the same
> subnet as our NSR server. The GB network port on the server is nowhere
> near capacity and web have individual fibre lines between each of our nine
> Sony S-AIT drives and our backup server.
>
> I am wondering if anyone on this list has any suggestions on how I can
> tune Solaris 9 to allow for greater throughput.
>
> --
> to listserv AT listserv.temple DOT edu or visit the list's Web site at
> http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/networker.html where you can
> also view and post messages to the list. Questions regarding this list
> should be sent to stan AT temple DOT edu

Maarten Boot,
Compuware Europe B.V.
Hoogoorddreef 5
1101 BA Amsterdam