Networker

Re: [Networker] problems with 7.1.1 to 7.1.3 upgrade

2005-04-18 13:47:15
Subject: Re: [Networker] problems with 7.1.1 to 7.1.3 upgrade
From: Roberta Butcher Gold <gold11 AT LLNL DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 10:28:28 -0700
Funny, I just ran into the same problem upgrading one of my Solaris servers. The two I did last week did not get that error. I found this in the Legato Knowlegebase. I tried the workaround and it worked.

Upgrading NetWorker on Solaris

Upgrading NetWorker on Solaris 8
After installing Sun patch 110934-2X you may receive the following error from pkgadd:
Error: '(Existing_directory_name) not writeable'

Sun Solaris patch 110934-21 enforces that request script be run a user nobody or install,
this breaks networker request script which assume that it will be run as root.
Request Script Behaviors: The request script cannot modify any files. It only interacts with administrators installing the package and creates a list of environment variable assignments based upon that interaction. To enforce this restriction, the request script is executed as the non-privileged user 'install', if that user exists; otherwise it is executed as the non-privileged
user 'nobody'. The request script does not have superuser authority.
Known issue:    Contact LEGATO Software (EMC Software Group):
work-in-progress
Work around: Set the following environment variable prior to the installation:
# NONABI_SCRIPTS=TRUE
# export NONABI_SCRIPTS