Networker

Re: [Networker] R: [Networker] Red Hat Adaptec driver

2005-04-08 09:22:06
Subject: Re: [Networker] R: [Networker] Red Hat Adaptec driver
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 09:26:12 -0400
We were having horrible SCSI bus reset problems with our Red Hat box and
Adaptec SCSI cards. I was literally rebooting that silly storage node
every day because when the problem would occur, the picker, and/or at
least one drive in the attached libraries, would simply disappear.
Nothing would bring them back except a reboot. you can only imagine the
frustration and utter chaos this was wreaking on our backups and tapes!

We tried everything, and nothing worked. I don't think we ever tried
increasing the st buffers, though. Anyway, we finally gave up and just
bought some LSI Logic cards. The cards we purchased were the LSI
22320-R. This is an ultra 320 MB (160 per channel) dual SCSI SE/LVD
card. Presto! No more problems. In fact, the machine has been so stable,
it's unbelievable!

The funny though is that we've had good success with Adaptec as far as
RAID, but very poor results with tape. I would be hesitant to ever use
Adaptec products for tape ever again, never mind the fact that Adaptec,
for whatever reasons, seems to have become the ubiquitous, omnipresent
SCSI card that comes defacto with just about anything you buy these
days. We just could never make it work. If it's that hard, why bother?

George