Networker

Re: [Networker] Core Files not skipped by Directives

2005-04-05 20:06:07
Subject: Re: [Networker] Core Files not skipped by Directives
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 20:04:55 -0400
On Tue, 5 Apr 2005, George Sinclair wrote:

>Well, I'm not categorically stating that you have to. That was just my
>surmise as to how it's little brain works. I mean, for example, if I
>list say / under the savesets for a given client then is NetWorker gonna
>back up just / or is it gonna back up all the file systems? Of course,
>we all know it will descend no further than /; so, with the exception of
>the mount point path names, any other file systems would not be captured
>even though their mount points are under the root FS. I guess I was
>thinking that directives would follow along the same logic?

I think the prudent thing to do is back up the core files. I was in a
situation a few years ago where a web server's disk crashed. Every bit of
data for that server's users was recovered, except for one user. Yup, that
user had the dumb luck to host a web site called "core". Since that
incident, I would just as soon back up those few core files than not. A
better solution is to find out what's generating core files on your server
and fix it if at all possible.