Networker

Re: [Networker] networker 7.2 and library auto-load support

2005-04-01 12:10:32
Subject: Re: [Networker] networker 7.2 and library auto-load support
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 12:10:07 -0500
On Thu, 31 Mar 2005, Zaigui Wang wrote:

>We have a quantum P4000 that has autoloading feature: whenever a tape is
>inserted into the
>loadport and the tape will be moved from the loadport to the storage bin as
>soon as the loadport
>is closed.
>
>This is all nice and dandy, Legato networker, however, has no ideas of this
>happending. As a
>result, the tapes are loaded but I have no idea where they went, short of
>re-inventorying the
>entire library.
>
>Is there a way for the library to notify/update the networker software of
>import/export events?
>Sun support does not seem to think so. But I know for certain other backup
>software, such as
>CommVault, does this like a breeze.

If any tape library I use with NetWorker had an autoloading feature, I
would turn it off. Allowing your tape library to change the state of
itself seems like a recipe for trouble. If turning off the autoloading
feature isn't acceptable to you, then at least get in the habit of doing

nsrjb -C | grep ":                            "

so you at least know which slots are empty and are candidates for
receiving newly depositted tape cartridges. That way, you only have to
inventory just those slots after your tape library loads tapes ...
although if the tapes have never been used, an inventory is not necessary.