Networker

Re: [Networker] How not to backup changetime data?

2005-03-30 09:47:03
Subject: Re: [Networker] How not to backup changetime data?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 09:49:46 -0500
What concerns me is the *amount* of data. This is forcing almost a tape
every night, but prior to the implementation of the cron script that's
running these chmods, the affected file system was backing up maybe a
fraction of a tape, not  even a gig. In fact, it would sit on a tape for
maybe a week or more. Now, it's eating through several tapes a week all
because a few directories are being chmoded. Of course, I'm not gonna
just blindly skip the data and yes, I realize the importance of having
all the file attributes in place when you recover it -- very good point
-- BUT I think in some very specific cases that may depend on the data
in question versus the amount of tape usage. In this particular example,
there are VERY specific paths that are being chmoded, and these are not
system files scattered around wherein failure to properly recover the
correct attributes could cause problems (security or otherwise).
Instead, these are all buried down under the same user data area. If the
users don't care that the recovered attributes are not the same, and all
they care about is that the data files themselves are the same, then
they could always run chmod again after the data has been recovered just
as the script does. In fact, I've looked at the script, and it runs the
same chmod on the whole thing every night in exactly the same way every
time. If they agree to it, then it seems that using some type of
directive like mtimeasm (not sure if this works or not) would be a
relief. Of course, it's something they need to understand ahead of time
and be prepared for. Would not consider this without proper testing and
user acceptance, but again, this is not something that I've had problems
with before. This is the first time I've seen this kind of problem on
any tape usage level that I would consider looking into.

George