Networker

[Networker] How not to backup changetime data?

2005-03-29 12:04:52
Subject: [Networker] How not to backup changetime data?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 12:07:22 -0500
Hi,

Is there a way to tell NetWorker to only back up a file if its
modification time has changed and not its changetime? Or maybe, when the
modification time changes, the changetime changes, too? I guess what I'm
asking is if there's a way to NOT back up the files if only something
like permissions, group, user, etc. has changed and only back it up if
there's actually been a modification to the file itself and not merely
its meta data.

For example, if some joker runs something like 'chmod -R u+x' against a
directory, NetWorker will re-backup all those files since the changetime
has now been affected. As near as I can tell there's no way to directly
change the changetime, but doing anything like chmod, chown or chgrp
against a file will affect a new changetime, and NetWorker definitely
appears to notice.

We have a large directory where someone is running a script that uses
chown, chgrp and chmod against it every night, but the modification
times are not changing. Essentially causes as much data as a full to get
backed up during incrementals.

George