Networker

[Networker] How to determine what files have changed?

2005-03-23 16:27:04
Subject: [Networker] How to determine what files have changed?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 16:28:51 -0500
Hi,

We have a Linux client that is reporting large incrementals on /0 every
night for the last week. Nobody who uses this host can explain why
there's this much data that's getting backed up on there, but they don't
claim to be loading that much out there to explain the sizes of the
incrementals we're seeing as reported by the NetWorker saveset recover
window.

We're scheduled to run a full tonight, so things might resolve
themselves after that. The last full was on 02/24/05. We have a one
month browse policy. I'm not aware of anything that would be causing the
time stamps on any files to change other than users editing and/or
copying out new data, but they agree that these numbers seem much higher
than they would expect.

Is there a way I can get a listing of the files that NetWorker backed up
on a given date and the sizes of the files so I can see if in fact those
files actually have time stamps within the last 1-2 days? I tried
nsrinfo but have not found the output indecipherable, so I tried
something like this to get the nsavetime value for the /0 saveset from
last night:

1. nsrinfo -s server -q 'savetime>03/22/05' -r nsavetime -v -N /0 -c
client

Next, I ran this:

2. nsrinfo -t nsavetime_value client

This created a large amount of output featuring the pathnames of the
affected files. I could go through and run something like:

3. cat output | xargs -i /bin/sh -c 'ls -ld {}' | awk '{print $5}'

to get the bytes of each file and then add them up, BUT I notice that
when I run 'ls -ld pathname' against many of the pathnames returned
from command 2, I see that the file has an older date, e.g. March 7 or
something. Seems odd that NetWorker would be backing up files with old
time stamps, unless somehow someone untarred or rsynced a file with an
old time stamp?
Any ideas on how better to analyze this?

Thanks.

George