Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker Crash

2005-03-11 10:52:24
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker Crash
From: Dave Mussulman <mussulma AT CS.UIUC DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 09:50:23 -0600
On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 09:41:54AM +0000, Davina Treiber wrote:
> Ciolek, Ken wrote:
> >My Networker server crashed and is being rebuilt. It was a NT 4 and a
> >question was raised if we could upgrade to Windows 2000 then restore my old
> >server to the box. I thought someone had told me this could not be done.
>
> From a technical point of view I don't know any reason why you
> shouldn't mmrecov to a Windows 2000 server rather than an NT4 server,
> although don't hold me to that. From a business point of view, and for
> the sake your company's valuable data, you should probably not do this
> just now.

We just migrated/moved our Networker server to a new host via a DR
restore.  Along the way I tried different things (sneak in a 7.1.3 from
7.1.2 upgrade, change a few partition names/mount points, drop in a few
symlinks.)  None of these worked successfully for me.  In order for me
to get a good, solid recover of my system I had to create the same
partitions mounted in the same place with the same Networker version.
This was on a Linux box - I'm sure Windows would be as picky or more.
I'm with Davina: get your system online as it was, and work on the
upgrade later.

Dave