Networker

Re: [Networker] NDMP speeds (with a centera if anyone has one)

2005-03-08 17:17:05
Subject: Re: [Networker] NDMP speeds (with a centera if anyone has one)
From: "Narkinsky, Brian" <Brian.Narkinsky AT DEP.STATE.FL DOT US>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 17:16:10 -0500
Lot of data.  I come up with 3.5 TBs a day from your figures! Gut feeling is
that you couldn't keep up with it through NDMP. You'd have to have lots of
NDMP tape servers and tape drives.  We have not done Centera Backups yet but,
will start soon so

On another Centera note.  You also need to worry about object counts.  The A
single Centera node/cluster has a limit of 400 million  C-clips (the basic
storage object in a Centera).  Depending on how your software interfaces with
the Centera you might want to take that limit into account.  Some software
(Email Xtender for example) roll all the emails up into a big file then write
to the Centera.  Some just push the original objects on to it.  SO each
c-clip is say a document , image or whatever.  I'd make sure you forecast the
number of c-clips on the system and architect the Centera system around it.
You may need more access nodes etc if this is the case.

http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid5_gci1052147,
00.html?track=NL-390&ad=503730&Offer=W2MYnv4

Hope this helps.

Brian Narkinsky