Networker

Re: [Networker] Using multiple storage nodes for same client?

2005-03-08 10:32:47
Subject: Re: [Networker] Using multiple storage nodes for same client?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 10:29:19 -0500
Thanks for your response and sorry to be so long winded. I think the
utter frustration forced it out of me. LOL!

What then is the purpose or point of listing more than one snode? I have
discovered that in the case of the primary server -- and this is
probably no surprise, I'm sure -- it will use whichever is listed first
to send the client's index to. So, for example, if a client lists the
following under Storage Nodes field:
snode2
snode1

But the primary server lists:
snode1
snode2

then the client will insist on using snode2 to backup data, and then its
index will go to snode1.
Kind of a hard coded decision here. If I wanna vary it, I have to change
it; otherwise, always the same. Seems weird that NetWorker can't load
balance things or maybe I should say allow for dynamic snode selection.

Seems, therefore, that we have three choices:
1. Hard code the clients that we want to use snode1 versus snode2 and
make sure to have enough of the required pool tapes in both libraries,
assuming we're going to use two snodes and not dedicate any one of them
to a specific pool.

2. Hard code the pools to use certain devices and then which ever
snode's devices are available for the pool then that's the one it will
use. I'm thinking this would work, but does force you to dedicate the
devices to certain pools.

3. Move both libraries to the new storage node rather than having one
library on the old snode and the other on the new snode.

Still seems odd that NetWorker will use dynamic sharing of devices
between libraries on the same snode but not between said devices on
different snodes. Hmm ...

George