Networker

[Networker] ndmp backups and licensing

2005-03-03 21:09:31
Subject: [Networker] ndmp backups and licensing
From: David Gold-news <dave2 AT CAMBRIDGECOMPUTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 21:02:08 -0500
Hi,

As a followup and potential clarification, if you want to do backups over the LAN of NDMP data, you have three types of options. I'll use Celerra as an example:

1. Backup over LAN from one Celerra to another that has a tape drive.
For instance, if you have two Celerras, with only one that has a connection to to a tape drive, you could back one up over the LAN to the other. The tape drive on the first Celerra certainly could be shared as part of an existing changer; you'll need DDS licenses for that, and fibre connect (I'm assuming) the Celerra using an available port.
Licenses: 2 NDMP Client licenses.

2. Backup over LAN to NetWorker 7.1.x host.
You would install NDMP Tape Server(Windows)/Snapimage(Unix) software, and dedicated one + tape drives on your server/storage node as NDMP tape drives. You could have that drive be NDMP, of course.
Negatives: NDMP Tape Server/Snapimage is NDMP rev 2, which means no cloning.
Licenses: As above, plus NDMP Tape Server/Snapimage

3. Backup over LAN to NetWorker 7.2 host.
NetWorker 7.2 builds the NDMP Tape Server into nsrmmd directly (versus remotely, as in the other examples), so you don't need to install NDMP Tape Server/Snapimage to have NetWorker receive backups. Also removes the single stream limitation of NDMP data when nsrmmd is writing it to tape (multiplexing is supported directly by nsrmmd, since the NDMP Tape Server is built into it). Some other stuff too, but that is the most important. Licenses: 2 NDMP Client licenses. I do not believe that you have to license anything to get NDMP support via nsrmmd. (I'm not 100% on that last item, but I'm pretty sure about it)

Dave