Networker

Re: [Networker] name (from nwadmin) of a tape device ?

2005-03-02 12:19:18
Subject: Re: [Networker] name (from nwadmin) of a tape device ?
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 09:08:34 -0800
> On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 08:25:09AM -0800, Darren Dunham wrote:
> > > Is there any way to change the name, as it appears in nwadmin of a
> > > tape (not jukebox) device ?
> >
> > What OS is this?  I'm used to the name being the access device (like
> > /dev/rmt/0cbn on Solaris).
> >
> > You wouldn't be able to change the name without changing how you access
> > the tape drive.
> >
> > What's the output from nsradmin if you do the following?
> >
> > nsradmin> option hidden: on
> > nsradmin> print type:nsr device; name:7
>
> I think he's talking about the location of volumes in an external
> standalone drive.  Our external DLT and LTO drives always seem to mark
> the volume they have loaded as being in location "7" and I too have
> always wondered how to change that.

Interesting...  Does it set this whenever a tape is mounted or when?  My
test box (6.1.3) has only a single drive.  Its tapes all have a blank
location field, even when mounted.  I haven't seen this before.

If you blank the location, does it get set to 7 when mounted?  Does it
get set when the tape is labeled?