Networker

Re: [Networker] New barcocded labels on recycled tapes - what does Legato do?

2005-03-02 00:37:48
Subject: Re: [Networker] New barcocded labels on recycled tapes - what does Legato do?
From: Michael Coxe <mcoxe AT OPSWARE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 21:32:20 -0800
Darren Dunham wrote:
And if so will it balk at reusing the tape and new label, or just
merrily use the tape as it would a new one?

It will recognize it as a regular old tape with a new barcode.

Hi Darren,

I was afraid of that - new labels won't fool Networker :(

All of the old tapes I've begun recycling are in the Default
pool and it's a royal pain relabeling them for use in other
pools (such as NDMP), which is the norm now.

I'd probably write a script to relabel some of them in bunches.

I do that now, but I wanted somthing easier, for use by folks in
satellite offices not as clueful & mindful of Legato quirks, plus
I'm lazy myself. We have like 6000 tapes that were never recycled
due to legal reasons which are now available & saving an ungodly
amount monthly in media costs. I guess there's always big magnets ;>

It is possible (although almost certainly unsupported) to change the
Default pool settings for "Recycle to other pools" to be "yes".  Then
you might not need to force recycle them (just have them available and
on-line).

I tried this per instructions posted on this list but Legato ignores
my changes. If I could could get this to work that would be ideal!
As I remember the process...:

 shut down legato
 backup /nsr/res/nsr.res
 edit /nsr/res/nsr.res
  - find "Default" pool
  - @ "Recycle to other pools: No;", change "No" to "Yes"
 restart Networker
 manage pools
 - allow desired pools to "Recycle from other pools"

Did I miss a step or ?

 - michael

--
  Michael Coxe, IT