Networker

Re: [Networker] Tape inventory on L700e

2005-02-25 11:54:18
Subject: Re: [Networker] Tape inventory on L700e
From: Philippe Michel <philippe.michel AT THALES-IS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 17:44:02 +0100
Bob Payne wrote :

Could someone explain to me why, when doing an inventory, sometimes the
tape needs to be loaded into the drive and sometimes not. If I have say, 30
slots to inventory and each tape has to be loaded into the drive to check
its label, it takes forever.
On other occasions, tapes are not loaded into a drive but Networker still
manages to discover what they are. What makes the difference?

My experience is that a tape is loaded in a drive to be inventoried :
- when it has an unknown barcode
- when its barcode is known but the location field was changed with mmlocate -u and is neither empty nor the library name

Maybe you do the latter to set it to some kind of safe or storage room name when you pull tapes out of the library ?