Networker

[Networker] Tape Expected Life for Rewrites

2005-02-25 11:18:39
Subject: [Networker] Tape Expected Life for Rewrites
From: "Gibbons, Kim" <kgibbons AT MPR DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 11:00:50 -0500
Greetings to all,

Using Exabyte Mammoth 2 AME tapes on Exabyte 440 jukebox.

Exabyte rep says that these tapes have a rewrite life of 52 rewrites or
one (1) year.

Has anyone experienced these tapes only being good for rewrites for one
year??

We have been experiencing several different kinds of intermittent errors
related to writing to the tapes.

Our tapes are on a 6 month rotation, which means that most of the tapes
we are now using are over 1 year old.

We are trying to determine if we should spend the $2000 to purchase a
whole new set of tapes, or if we should skip this and spend the money
instead to have our drives examined and evaluated and possibly replaced.

Any input is GREATLY appreciated!

~ K
Kim Gibbons
Systems Administrator