Networker

Re: [Networker] Tape drive issues with Networker 7.1.1 and PowerVault 132T

2005-02-16 05:26:06
Subject: Re: [Networker] Tape drive issues with Networker 7.1.1 and PowerVault 132T
From: Riaan Louwrens <riaanl AT SOURCECONSULTING.CO DOT ZA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 08:43:17 +0200
Brian,

What I see on a semi-regular basis is that drives that are attached to the seem
to "change" their scsi path & thus drive ordering.

I.e. the SAN doesnt apply "persistant binding" of the addresses. So when the
operating system comes up it assigns a "new" device handle to them as they are
discovered. (this is specific to Windows - but I am sure Linux / Unix works on
a similar principle (i.e. /dev/rmt/ocbn doesnt actually refer to "drive 1" in
your library anymore)).

The way I test for it is (unfortunately a cumbersome route - but it works) to
delete my libraries, create manual devices and then manually load tapes into
each of them (note the tape labels) then to mount the tape in drive1 and see
what labels comes up (do this for each of the drives).

Then you can re-create your library accordingly.

If your path to the autochanger is the same you should be able to use JBEDIT
(7.x) to modify the paths to the drives.

One needs to ensure that the SAN has "persistant binding" of all the devices
and then soemthign I have found to help (from Windows again - sorry) is to make
sure that the scsi cards with lower adresses are on lower numbered PCI slots in
yoru system (i.e. they get picked up first and get assigned device handles
first) ...

Apologies if I have gone on a tangent for something you already know ... But
this is where I have seen similar messages before.

Regards,
Riaan