Networker

Re: [Networker] Hard links

2005-02-11 17:00:50
Subject: Re: [Networker] Hard links
From: Jason Koelker <jkoelker AT RACKSPACE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 16:00:57 -0600
Since hard links share the same target inode as the "real file", they
appear to be files as well.

As far as I know, NetWorker does not go onto the filesystem level, and
relies on the filesystem to tell it what each file is.  Using hard links
for "backup" does not make sense, since each "file", the real file and
the link file, will be obliterated if something happens to the
underlying inode(s).

Pretty much everything should be able to deal with sym-links and if you
just want a file to appear in 2 locations, they are the way to go.

When NetWorker backs up a symlink, it backs up the definition of the
link, not the target file, so when its restored it is still a sym-link
and not a real file.

Have a good one!

Jason