Networker

Re: [Networker] Drive unable to unload

2005-02-07 10:40:48
Subject: Re: [Networker] Drive unable to unload
From: Matt Temple <mht AT RESEARCH.DFCI.HARVARD DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 10:38:26 -0500
Somen Chanda wrote:

Hi,

We moved from Sun to Linux and facing a lot of problems. This is one of
them. We get this error very frequently.

media info: failed unloading drive `rd=backup1:/dev/nst1' to slot '12',
error '25'

Then the drives will be disabled by legato unless we notice and run mt
command to unload the tape manually. I use

# mt -f /dev/nst0 unlock
# mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind
# mt -f /dev/nst0 offline
# mt -f /dev/nst0 eject

We have a ADIC Scalar100 with IBM Ultrium 3580 drives in them. Our backups
are failing because of these errors and the tapes are bound to get stuck in
the drives every night.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

Somen Chanda
Somen,

I, too have had similar problems which I've written about aq nyumber of times. If you look at the most recent Linux release notes (I think it wasi n the release notes), you'll see that they have a further recommendation for the stinit.def file. They suggest that
you add a line that looks like the following:
                       "auto-lock=0"
Actually in the release notes, they have it as
"auto_lock" (with an underscore) which is incorrect. We have AIT drives, and I wonder if this might not be relevant to your setup. Over the last 4 years here, I've had many, many problems with drive settings
(variable block size) reverting to  fixed, tapes not unloading, etc.

I've also found that many of the /usr/sbin/cdi* utilities have been useful for workarounds, especially /usr/sbin/cdi_load_unload. But believe it or not, one of our problems is only fixed by forcing a tape into a drive by front-panel commands on the library, then running "scanner -v" on the tape. Many weirdly-spent hours of experimenting led to
this discovery!

Matt Temple

Matthew Temple                Tel:    617/632-2597
Director, Research Computing  Fax:    617/582-7820
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute  mht AT research.dfci.harvard DOT edu
44 Binney Street, LG300/300   http://research.dfci.harvard.edu
Boston, MA 02115              Choice is the Choice!