Networker

Re: [Networker] incorrect block size

2005-02-03 15:25:57
Subject: Re: [Networker] incorrect block size
From: Matt Temple <mht AT RESEARCH.DFCI.HARVARD DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 15:24:31 -0500
Somen Chanda wrote:

I successfully completed the migration from Solaris 8 to Linux platform but
same library and tapes.

But the tapes do not get recognised in the library even though they are in
the media database. I am able to label them only if I remove them from the
media database.

I also found an error message in the messages file as:

backup1 ntpd[1858]: time reset -0.507072 s
Feb  3 13:00:05 backup1 ntpd[1858]: kernel time discipline status change 41
Feb  3 13:00:05 backup1 ntpd[1858]: synchronisation lost
Feb  3 13:02:39 backup1 kernel: st1: Block limits 1 - 16777215 bytes.
Feb  3 13:02:49 backup1 kernel: st1: Incorrect block size.
Feb  3 13:03:12 backup1 last message repeated 2 times
I wonder if you have the same problem that I've run into. We are running Networker on Linux with AIT-3 and AIT-2 drives. Several times, our server has lost its setting, and reverted to 512-byte blocks from the size we had set. (We use stinit and have definitions for block sizes in our networker startup file.) After getting a message like the
one you got above, the tape is eventually ejected.   Bad.

Now here's the weird part. If you use front-panel library commands to load a tape into the drive, then force scanner to run (with the "-v" option), scanner will discover your block size then reset the tape drive to variable instead of fixed. I've sent this to Legato and spent a really unpleasantly long time with this. It's clearly something buggy either with the Adaptec driver or with Networker, but I can't tell which. I do have this workaround, though.

Also, there is a switch on the AIT drives (documentation hard to find) which changes the default of the drive from fixed to variable. This is not, however, a cure for the problem above. If you want to see the enormous thread of mail I have from this problem, let me know.

When you remove the entreis from the medai database and label the tapes, what does scanner report
about the blocksize of the tape?

Matt Temple

Can any one help on this?

My stinit.def file looks like this:

# initial LTO Gen 1 entry for IBM , may need additional tweaks
#
manufacturer=IBM model = "ULTRIUM-TD1" {
can-bsr scsi2logical drive-buffering
timeout=800
long-timeout=14400
mode1 blocksize=0 density=0x00  # as close as possible to st.conf entry

Thanks in advance!

Somen Chanda

Matthew Temple                Tel:    617/632-2597
Director, Research Computing  Fax:    617/582-7820
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute  mht AT research.dfci.harvard DOT edu
44 Binney Street, LG300/300   http://research.dfci.harvard.edu
Boston, MA 02115              Choice is the Choice!