Networker

Re: [Networker] Problem reading tapes following library upgrade - SOLVED!

2005-01-31 08:29:13
Subject: Re: [Networker] Problem reading tapes following library upgrade - SOLVED!
From: Serge Forget <forgets AT DFO-MPO.GC DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 08:25:23 -0500
Well, the solution to the problem was not really obvious, and I would
suggest that others keep note of this issue.

I spent the week trying to solve this problem with HP and the Legato
support that we have, and we are still working toward a full resolution
instead of the work-around that I used.

After numerous tests and attempts, here is a resume of the problem and
solution:

Using a SDLT-320, I could not read any tapes backed up on a SDLT-110. Nor
could I read SDLT-110 tapes on another SDLT-110 library/drive.  After
discussions with my colleagues, we determined that the only thing that had
really changed, beside adding a new SDLT-320, was that the firmware had
been upgraded on all the SDLT-110 and 320 drives. This came about because
the new SDLT-320 library had its drives at firmware revision 82, so while
I was away, one of my colleague upgrade all the other drives to firmware
revision 82. The previous firmware revision in place was, in our
particular case, revision 75. Normally, this should not be an issue,
right? Think again.

As one of our final tests, we decided to downgrade one of our drives (sdlt-
320) to firmware revision 75. Once done, we could read any and all tapes
that had been backed up with revision 75 AND revision 82. So, our
conclusion was that there is something not quite right with revision 82
that prevents Networker to read tapes backed up with revision 75 and from
other library backed up with revision 82.

After downgrading all of our libraries/tape drives back to revision 75, we
are able to read all of our tapes weather they have been backed up, with
Networker, while using firmware 75 or 82.

Our Legato support, third party company, and HP have ben made aware of the
situation.  HP said they woul escalate this particular problem/issue to
their engineering teams.

That's it folks.

Serge