Networker

Re: [Networker] Open files on Linux server

2005-01-07 14:15:47
Subject: Re: [Networker] Open files on Linux server
From: Tarik El Mansouri <etarik AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 20:15:03 +0100
Hello Diane,

Open files not backed on Windows because on the OS locking mechanism that is
completly different on UNIX OSes.
The files on the Linux server can then be read and backed up while they are
accessed by another process, the only thing to take care of : Is your backup
consistant since, the file is backed up while it is accessed by another
process. Which is particulary the case on databases ?
In your example you should use either a cold backup (stop the database, run the
backup, restart the db) , or a backup to a flat file (preferably on another
file system) that will be taken by an usual file system backup.

Regards,
Tarik

Diane Rolland <drolland AT KDINET DOT COM> wrote:
I've been asked how Networker handles open files on our Linux server. In
paticular there is a Samba share that may have open FoxPro database files.

I've never seen any error messages in regards to files that cannot be
backed up for some reason.

Do open files get skipped? If so, is there a log somewhere that could
tell me what files did not get backed up?

TIA,
Diane

Créez votre Yahoo! Mail