Networker

Re: [Networker] Multiple NIC configuration

2005-01-07 13:58:02
Subject: Re: [Networker] Multiple NIC configuration
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 10:44:43 -0800

> Lost track in the thread here.. would a Networker client connection get
> confused under a simple setup (multiple independent NICS on the same LAN-
> no trunking).  I would think the outbound NIC server name (despite being
> in the client's servers file) might confuse a Networker save session;
> ie.. a reply comes back from different server name than it was initiated
> on?  Was that the point being made here?

No.  This is a TCP connection.  As far as the client can tell, it's the
same server (source IP/source port).  The fact that it is initially
delivered from the server via a different interface could increase the
path taken, but the client can't easily tell that this has occurred.

> Multiple NICs on the same LAN seems good from a central admin point of
> view;  one could manually load balance backup traffic based on storage
> node name (or backup server interface name ) without having to move clients
> to a different backup LAN.

Sure.  My only concern is if the server outbound traffic is not
distributed.  During a restore, it could cause performance issues.

It also seemed like suntrunking was available originally.  That should
give the same performance benefit as the multiple interfaces reducing
some of the maintenance concerns.