Networker

Re: [Networker] performance impacted by slow client

2004-11-30 05:21:05
Subject: Re: [Networker] performance impacted by slow client
From: Davina Treiber <Treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 10:20:22 +0000
Teresa Biehler wrote:

I'm looking for information about how/whether a slow client may impact
the performance of other backup clients.  One source that I've consulted
is telling me that one slow client multiplexed onto a tape with faster
clients will slow down the faster clients.  Is this possible?

I wouldn't think this should happen, however I have observed it myself,
particularly with Windows clients running older obsolete versions of
NetWorker. (I'm not saying it couldn't happen with newer versions.) I
don't have an explanation because I can't work it out myself either.

They are recommending that I segregate the slower clients in my
environment onto a separate pool or within a separate group so that this
doesn't happen.  Is this correct?  It was my impression that groups and
pools were designed to logically segregate data based on data
requirements rather than as tools to tune a backup's performance.

If this is causing you an issue, then perhaps this would be a good
workaround, although the increased complexity in your environment might
not be worth the benefit.