Networker

[Networker] Microsoft Exchange Information Store service dies during Legato Backup

2004-11-24 17:40:23
Subject: [Networker] Microsoft Exchange Information Store service dies during Legato Backup
From: "Broad, Andrew [IT]" <andrew.broad AT CITIGROUP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 09:37:44 +1100
Hi all

I have been having intermittent problems backing up our Exchange servers.
Basically, during several failing attempts to backup the server, the "Microsoft
Exchange Information Store" service dies.

*       There is nothing in the event logs to suggest why.
*       It has been happening intermittently on more than on Exchange server
*       I have been able to restart it on one server at which point the
databases re-mounted.
*       It happened again on the weekend on the second server and I had to
reboot the server as the databases would not re-mount after the Information
store was brought back up.
*       The same symptoms occur on other exchange servers.

Versions:
Exchange: Version 6.0 (Build 6249.4: Service Pack 3)
W2k: Windows 2000 SP4
Networker: 3.1.0.74

Legato server: 6.1.3
Solaris Version: SunOS 5.8 Generic_108528-27 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-480R

Summary of Details:
*       Exchange server reported down at 5:45am Tuesday morning.
*       I dialed in, found "Microsoft Information Store" service was stopped
and databases unmounted.
*       Noted Legato had attempted to backup the server just before multiple
entries in the event log that suggested the store was down.
*       Log and Application drives all had plenty of space.
*       No Microsoft entries in the event log to suggest a reason for the
Information store service to have stopped.
*       I restarted the information store around 5:50am. It took several
minutes to complete starting up and mounting the 4 databases on the server.
*       I restarted the Networker services at around 6am - thinking that I
should either reboot the entire server or restart Networker services to ensure
the backup worked that night.
*       restarted the failed backup job and it finished without errors at
around 9:45am.

Has anybody else had problems backing up their exchange servers with the
exchange module?

Any help or insights would be great

Regards,

Andrew

Important Information

This message may contain confidential, proprietary or privileged information.
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and
delete the message from your system.  You should not copy or use it for any
purpose, nor disclose its contents to any other person.  E-mail transmission
cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free.  No guarantee is made that any
attachments are virus free.  We reserve the right to monitor all e-mail
communications.

This e-mail is made available to you in Australia by Citibank Pty Limited ABN
88 004 325 080 AFSL No.238098.

Although the information is believed to be reliable, we do not guarantee its
accuracy and it may be incomplete or condensed.  All opinions and estimates
constitute our judgement at the date of issue and are subject to change without
notice. Unless stated otherwise, pricing information is indicative only,
subject to change and is not an offer to deal at any price quoted.  Any
reference to the terms of executed transactions is preliminary only and subject
to written confirmation.