Networker

Re: [Networker] saveset recover for deleted client?

2004-11-17 07:02:02
Subject: Re: [Networker] saveset recover for deleted client?
From: Philippe Michel <philippe.michel AT THALES-IS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 13:01:05 +0100
George Sinclair a écrit :

If that's true then it would appear that it *IS IN FACT* necessary to
first re-create the client if it does not exist. I mean, if I want to
recover data from fred, using saveset recover or 'recover -S ssid', and
I don't have a machine named fred anymore then I can't very well grant
permission to some other machine if I don't first create a client named
fred. This seems to be a major problem with NetWorker.

Will NetWorker care that this is a new fred? Will it check the client id
value against the old value somewhere and then complain? How do you get
around this problem? What is the correct way to handle this situation?

If you create a new fred, networker will reuse the client-id of the old one (it remembers the name and client-ids of all the clients it ever had).

Anyway, removing a client before all the tapes that contain its savesets have been recycled isn't of much interest. Its licence is not released before there aren't any savesets belonging to it in the media database.