Networker

Re: [Networker] Can you recover indexes from clones?

2004-11-04 14:28:22
Subject: Re: [Networker] Can you recover indexes from clones?
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 11:48:31 -0800

> The post regarding "Volume Clone Question" raises an interesting
> question to me. It was pointed out that when you clone savesets, they
> don't have separate entries in the database, so if you remove either the
> original volume or the clone, the index entries are gone.

I think that's only true in certain situations (such as marking a volume
recyclable).  There are ways that the original can be removed without
deleting the file indexes for its component savesets.

> Okay. Now,
> lets suppose in the process of cloning some savesets, you also clone the
> indexes, and now your clone volume has both.

Rather than saying you "clone the indexes" I'd say you clone an index
saveset.  They're separate.  The indexes are on disk.  The index saveset
is just an old copy.

> If you remove the original,
> and the index entries are now gone, can you simply run: 'nsrck -t "date"
> -L7 clientname' to recover the indexes from the clone volume?

I think it should.  Both the original and clone of the index saveset
have the same SSID, so a load/merge should easily happen from either
copy.  I've never tried that though.  It shouldn't be too hard to test.