Networker

Re: [Networker] multiplexing questions

2004-11-04 12:19:56
Subject: Re: [Networker] multiplexing questions
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 09:39:47 -0800
> I was under impression cloning always demultiplex savesets, no matter
> how many savesets are being passed to the nsrclone.  And this is why
> people prefer using clones for the restoration (for speeding it up).
> That basically means Networker would do multiple passes through the
> original volume if required.

No, apparantly not.  If true, you might have to make many passes over a
tape, and the cloning could take several times longer than the backup.
That would make it impossible to use in some environments.
Demultiplexing might speed up restores, but it could take a very long
time to accomplish.

Both are possible, depending on how it's run.