Networker

Re: [Networker] Would you read an overview in the NetWorker Admin Guide?

2004-11-02 18:37:07
Subject: Re: [Networker] Would you read an overview in the NetWorker Admin Guide?
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 18:34:36 -0500
On Tue, 2 Nov 2004, David Geddes wrote:

>Hi,
>
>We are trying to plan a better doc set for NetWorker and would like your
>opinion. Assume that you are new to the NetWorker product but are now
>responsible for its successful implementation. Would you open the NetWorker
>Admin Guide (pdf or printed) and read a conceptual overview? Suppose the
>overview explained, without going into much detail, how the features in
>this product could be used to help you achieve your goals, i.e., implement
>a backup and recover solution across your enterprise. Additionally, the
>overview explained how, again without going into much detail, you could
>optimize your backup and recovery operations. Is this the sort of thing
>that would be useful to a NetWorker Administrator. Is it something that an
>Administrator might read or is it a safer bet to assume that Administrators
>are only going to read the docs if they're in a jam. Thanks for any help on
>this!

This type of thing would interest me. It would be nice to see (perhaps in
the appendix) all the options (BSMs and others) to back up various
platforms. I would also like to see a separate operations guide that
concentrates on tasks that operators would need to know such as changing
tapes, restarting failed backups, etc.