Networker

Re: [Networker] Jukebox eject

2004-09-21 14:05:16
Subject: Re: [Networker] Jukebox eject
From: Roy Kidder <roy.kidder AT SAFELITE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 14:06:23 -0400
On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 09:41:06 -0700, Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
wrote:

>> I have NetWorker on Linux using an Adic FastStor DLT jukebox with a single
>> DLT7000 drive. NetWorker will move the tapes between the drive and the slots
>> just fine when I tell it to, however when it reaches the end of a tape
>> during a backup, it won't move it out of the drive and load the next one.
>
>What version of Linux and Networker?

Kernel version is 2.6 and Networker 4.1.4 build 562.

>Annoying.  Is anything logged when this happens?  Is the tape drive
>still "open" by a nsrmmd process (check with fuser or lsof)?  Does the
>tape at least appear to rewind, or does it do nothing?

I can't tell if the drive is still open because I've already unmounted it to
continue my backups, but here is a snippet of the log:

(warning) /dev/nst0 writing: No space left on device, at file 106 record 5732
(notice) dlt7000 tape tape.001 on /dev/nst0 is full
(notice) dlt7000 tape tape.001 used 33 GB of 35 GB capacity
(info) verification of volume "tape.001", volid 1256263681 succeeded.
(info) suggest mounting tape.002 on netback.safelite.com for writing  to
pool 'Default'
(waiting) Waiting for 1 writable volumes to backup pool 'Default' tape(s) on
backup.foo.org
(waiting) Waiting for 1 writable volumes to backup pool 'Default' tape(s) on
backup.foo.org
(critical) Waiting for 1 writable volumes to backup pool 'Default' tape(s)
on backup.foo.org
(critical) Waiting for 1 writable volumes to backup pool 'Default' tape(s)
on backup.foo.org
(alert) Waiting for 1 writable volumes to backup pool 'Default' tape(s) on
backup.foo.org

I'm assuming that the tape is rewound based soley on the fact that when I
unmounted it, the jukebox didn't have to rewinde it before placing it back
into a slot.

>> I have "Auto media management" set to yes in the jukebox config window,
>> which sounds like it should do what I'm asking for, but it doesn't.
>
>It doesn't have anything to do with what you're describing.  optional
>verification, followed by rewinding, ejecting, unloading, and reloading
>should all be normal activities that don't have to be "enabled".
>
>> Anyone have any ideas?
>
>If you have a tape in the drive, but moved forward, does asking
>networker to unload still work, or is it only during a backup that it
>fails?

If I unmount a tape which has been partially used, it will eject it and
place it back into a slot. It only seems to be during a backup, when the
current tape is filled, that the drive doesn't automatically unmount and
eject the tape and move to the next one.

It may be worth noting that I configured the jukebox as a "Standard SCSI
Jukebox" at [email protected] with the tape drive itself at /dev/nst0. I was
able to "excercise" it according to the manual and was also able to label 5
tapes (all I had loaded at the time) from slots 1-5.

Thanks,
Roy