Networker

[Networker] Program not registered error

2004-09-20 17:46:53
Subject: [Networker] Program not registered error
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 17:47:58 -0400
Hello all;

After a recent change in the configuration of our Legato backup server
complex, I seem to have lost the ability to recover files from one
particular server.

The NetWorker server is running Power Edition version 7.1.2 of Legato,
which we upgraded to from 6.1.3 a few weeks ago. During the upgrade, we
also moved our backup server from a Sun Enterprise 450 to a Sunfire v480
(both running Solaris 9). The new NetWorker server has a new tape library
attached to it. The old E450 has been demoted to a storage node with our
old Qualstar tape library still SCSI attached to it. The file in question
needed to be recovered from our old Qualstar (storage node). The E450
(storage node) also runs NetWorker 7.1.2 on it and our old tape library
connected to it via LVD SCSI.

When a colleague tried to recover a file on a Tru64 Unix cluster node with
NetWorker 6.1.3 on it today, she received the following error:

>Recovering 1 file into its original location
>Volumes needed (all on-line):
>        G00107 at rd=something.ocis.temple.edu:Qualstar
>Requesting 1 file(s), this may take a while...
>Total estimated disk space needed for recover is 1 KB.
>
>recover: recover failed: recover: RPC error: Program not registered
>Recover completion time: Mon Sep 20 16:38:36 2004

Backups of this cluster node seem to work fine. I looked through the
NetWorker error messages guide on Legato's web site for this error, but I
came up empty handed. Does anyone know what this error means and how to
correct the problem? Fortunately, the file in question was small and I was
able to read it from tape by recovering it to a different Tru64 Unix
server (not a cluster node) and then transferring the file via our network
to the server that needs that file.