Networker

Re: [Networker] Transferring indexes between client definitions

2004-09-15 12:21:11
Subject: Re: [Networker] Transferring indexes between client definitions
From: Philippe MICHEL <philippe.michel AT THALES-IS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 18:21:35 +0200
Shawn Cox wrote:

> I'm in the process of renaming most of my servers due to a dns naming
> convention change.
>
> Say I have a client named xxx01.domain.com and have a years worth of indexes
> for it.  The box will be rebuilt on new hardware and in the process named
> yyy01.domain.com.  In the past I have just added yyy01.domain.com to the
> alias list of the original client definition and the backups go one without
> any trouble once the DNS is updated.  But this is a bit messy and causes
> confusion when doing restores as the client names no longer match.
>
> So, is there a way to create a new client definition with the new dns name
> and transfer the indexes from the old?  There is a client ID field in the
> client definition, but it's read only and I can't seem to do much more than
> stare at it.

When creating a new client, you can reuse the id of an removed client and the
new client will
inherit the indexes of the old one. This is just what you need.
- take note of the client-id
- remove old-client
- rename /nsr/index/old-client to new-client
- create new-client with the same id as old-client (the id is not read-only
when creating a client)

If you have a lot of clients to rename, it can be largely automated. Something
like :

nsradmin -s server -i - <<EOF
option hidden
show name ; client id ; schedule ; browse policy ; retention policy ; directive
; group ; save set ;
priority ; remote access ; remote user ; password ; backup command ; aliases ;
parallelism ; storage
nodes
print type: NSR client;
name: old-client;
EOF

will give most of what is needed to recreate the client. Change the name: and
aliases: fields in the
result, add
nsradmin -s server -i - <<EOF
create type: NSR client;
before each entry and EOF after them and you have a script to create the new
client.