Networker

[Networker] OT: LTO2 libraries, server migration

2004-09-14 12:27:48
Subject: [Networker] OT: LTO2 libraries, server migration
From: Dave Mussulman <mussulma AT CS.UIUC DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 11:28:15 -0500
Sorry if this is a little off topic, but I'm interested in the
experience and feedback from this list.  We're finally getting ready to
upgrade our backups hardware from DLT to LTO, and potentially upgrade
the server as well.

I figure we can upgrade our 60 slot, 4 DLT drive library to a 20-30
slot, 2 drive library, so I'm looking at the smaller LTO2 libraries.  So
far I'm looking at the Overland Neo 2000, the ADIC Scalar 24, the
Qualstar RLS series.  Are there any other products I should be looking
at, or comments/endorsements/warnings on these?

I hate to buy LTO2 when LTO3 is getting so close in the roadmap, but we
need to age out a failing DLT library.  Does anyone know any data on
when LTO3 products will hit the market?

The other major upgrade would be the backup server hardware.  We're
currently running off an Sun E450 (shared with other services.)  The
rest of our services are migrating over to Linux.  My question, for
those who have Linux Networker servers, what kind of hardware supports
the processor/IO strain of a backup server?  Are you satisfied with it,
or should I stay with Sun?

Thanks,
Dave