Networker

Re: [Networker] Client suddenly backing up entire drive every day

2004-08-31 11:15:56
Subject: Re: [Networker] Client suddenly backing up entire drive every day
From: Matt Temple <mht AT RESEARCH.DFCI.HARVARD DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 11:17:22 -0400
Zoran Dzelajlija wrote:
On Mon, Aug 30, 2004 at 06:36:56PM -0400, Matt Temple wrote:

Fields, David wrote:
Well, Dave, all good ideas, but no cigar.  This client has been part of
our backup regime for over a year -- we're on a quarterly scheme.  and I
had nsrck'ed it more than once.
Now here's the interesting part.   about 5 days after I posted this, the
phenomenom just plain stopped and went back to normal.

The owner of the machine _swears_ nothing has been changed.

He may think nothing has changed, but with software having automatic updates
nowadays, one may never know.  I've tracker the same symptoms to a version
of Sophos sweep scanner touching atimes of all the files on our Linux and
Solaris servers when scanning, which resulted in backing up all of the
files every time.
Why I emphasized "swears."  8-)

My backup admin is now using mtimeasm directive to work around the problem,
and I haven't checked back if the new sweep updates correct this behaviour.
That's a good thought.   I don't know if it's applicable to the W2000
clients, but I'll check that out.   In the meantime, of course, after
exhibiting this irritating behavior for about 8 weeks, it has suddenly
ceased.

And, may I say, your name looks very cool in print.

                                               Matt

Regards,
Zoran

Matthew Temple                Tel:    617/632-2597
Director, Research Computing  Fax:    617/582-7820
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute  mht AT research.dfci.harvard DOT edu
44 Binney Street, LG300/300   http://research.dfci.harvard.edu
Boston, MA 02115              Choice is the Choice!