Networker

Re: [Networker] Check for running backups

2004-08-30 15:39:20
Subject: Re: [Networker] Check for running backups
From: "Faidherbe, Thierry" <thierry.faidherbe AT HP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 21:40:26 +0200
Well,

Gathering running group can be easily achieved with

nsradmin> option hidden
nsradmin> option dynamic
nsradmin> show name;status
nsradmin> print type:nsr group
                        name: Default;
                      status: idle;

                        name: NSR-GROUP;
                      status: idle;

Then group worklist can be parsed, that the first part of the solution.

As per one of the previous posts, if saves are client initiated
backups (save or any other BSM), the trick is to gather running
save sessions (including client initiated ones and the ones started
by savegroup) by issuing :

nsradmin>show session client name;session rate;session rate
label;session message
nsradmin>print type:nsr

You will then have to process output to rebuild as follow :
        session client name[1] session rate[1] session rate label[1]
        session client name[2] session rate[2] session rate label[2]
        session client name[3] session rate[3] session rate label[3]

In this case, you will gather session name (eg server:/saveset saving to
ABC001)
and its session write rate ( eg 1500 KB/S). Usefull to gather/monitor
1 specific saveset write speed (read speed is not possible), BTW.

If you now combine both, you can group savesets based on worklist and
determine your group backup I/O write Avg speed sorting/greping
client initiated backups from monitoring. Perl can be a very fast
way to achieve it.

HTH,

Thierry

Kind regards - Bien cordialement - Vriendelijke groeten,

Thierry FAIDHERBE

HP Services - Storage Division
Tru64 Unix and Legato Enterprise Backup Solutions Consultant

 *********       *********   HEWLETT - PACKARD
 *******    h      *******   1 Rue de l'aeronef/Luchtschipstraat
 ******    h        ******   1140 Bruxelles/Brussel/Brussels
 *****    hhhh  pppp *****
 *****   h  h  p  p  *****   100/102 Blv de la Woluwe/Woluwedal
 *****  h  h  pppp   *****   1200 Bruxelles/Brussel/Brussels
 ******      p      ******   BELGIUM
 *******    p      *******
 *********       *********   Phone :    +32 (0)2  / 729.85.42
                             Mobile :   +32 (0)498/  94.60.85
                             Fax :      +32 (0)2  / 729.88.30
     I  N  V  E  N  T        Email/MSN : thierry.faidherbe AT hp DOT com
                             Internet  : http://www.hp.com/

MOBISTAR SA/NV

CSO/CTO/CEO/SSD/SBI
SYSTEM Team Charleroi, Mermoz 2 Phone : +32 (0)2  / 745.75.81
Avenue Jean Mermoz, 32          Fax :   +32 (0)2  / 745.89.56
6041 GOSSELIES                  Email : tfhaidhe AT mail.mobistar DOT be
BELGIUM                         Web :   http://www.mobistar.be/