Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker 7.1 filesystem limitations?

2004-08-24 19:39:00
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker 7.1 filesystem limitations?
From: Hrvoje Crvelin <hcrvelin AT ORCHESTRA DOT DE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 01:38:10 +0200
I did had "problems" recently while building 5x1.7TB for file
devices on Solaris 9 under the VxFS.

We have uncovered a Sun TechTip document ID73684 that states:

EFI is a new disk label format recently introduced in Solaris 9.  This
label format is REQUIRED for all devices over 1TB in size, and cannot be
converted to VTOC.

The devices allocated in our case were 1.7TB in size, and there's more...

The layered software products not intended for systems with EFI-labeled
disks might be incapable of accessing a disk with an EFI disk label. (i.e.,
current VxVM versions)

and...

- SVM and UFS file systems are compatible with the EFI disk label.  QFS
  and VxFS support is coming in later versions.

UFS was not an option in our case.  So, we simply created LUNS less than
1 TB and then combine them in Volume Manager.

Above had nothing to do with Legato.  I know there are some limitations
if your disk is beyond 1.8TB (this is why we had to go with 1.7 from
original 2TB design) and they were related to EMC hardware apparently,
but I would guess there are some other limitations.

I believe Legato was simply referring to following Sun article:
http://docs.sun.com/db/doc/817-0493/6mg9pruaf?a=view
http://docs.sun.com/db/doc/817-3801/6mjcck32j?a=view

(see SPARC: Multiterabyte Volume Support With EFI Disk Labels).

Cheers,
Hrvoje