Networker

Re: [Networker] AlphaStor and adding a new Storage Node

2004-08-20 17:28:19
Subject: Re: [Networker] AlphaStor and adding a new Storage Node
From: "T. S. Kimball" <tkimball AT BRASS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 17:28:28 -0400
That's not it either.  It went straight to the storage node and found
it the first time (since only the storage node and his drives were
chosen for the auto-config).  SR3 appears to be working in that
respect. :)

Removing my 'drive 7' entry (the LTOs will be 7-9 to match the L700
spots) for the first LTO may not need to be removed then, but I had a
'drive 14' created by accident when I entered the starting sequence
wrong.  So still need to remove at least one offending entry.

--TSK

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004, Carl Farnsworth wrote:

> REALLY long shot, but maybe worth a try.  Set the Idle Device Timeout to 0
> on your primary jukebox temporarily (and don't forget to set it back when
> done :-) and mount a tape in each of the drives on the primary jukebox.
>
> I'm thinking you might be hung up on an issue with AS that was *supposed*
> to be fixed in SR2, where whenever AS tries to unmount a volume, it tries
> *every other host* other than the one where it is actually mounted *first*,
> errors out, then finally gets to the correct host.  This maybe doesn't
> apply in an environment where the drives aren't shared, but shouldn't hurt
> to try it :-)  If mt unmounts the drive, can't see firmware being a problem.
>
> Side note, are you sure you have to delete the existing entry?  I don't
> recall being prevented from simply re-running the Wizard.  Also found that
> the Stand Alone Device configuration sections can be used to modify jukebox
> device entry's.
>
> HTH
> cf
>
> On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 23:53:34 -0400, T. S. Kimball <tkimball AT BRASS DOT COM>
> wrote:
>
> >I would be happy to do that test, but since the robot config wizard
> >did not even add one drive for the host correctly, AS has no valid
> >drive targets.  I've done such tests from the library level via
> >diagnostic mounts on the L700 and mt commands, so we're good there).
> >
> >And now I cannot try to add the device again until I remove the
> >incorrect entry from the database.  That _has_ to be done via SQL
> >directly, since trying to bring up the 'show all devices' screen will
> >cause a core dump of asconfigdh (already submitted to them) and
> >eventually causes me to bounce all the AS server software b/c their
> >web GUI stops responding.
> >
> >Wonderful Catch-22, since Legato will not supply info on their
> >database structure (but since I work on Sybase databases as part of my
> >living, I've found the offending entry already in as_device and will
> >try on my own - after backing up the DB of course).
> >

> >--TSK
> >

> >On Fri, 20 Aug 2004, Hrvoje  Crvelin wrote:
> >
> >> Did you try some basic operations with AS like
> >> asvolmount and asvolunmount for those drives and
> >> SN (so, no NetWorker here) to check if that works?
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Hrvoje

STATEMENT OF CONFIDENTIALITY

and may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not
the intended recipient, please notify SunGard Trading Systems immediately
at (201) 499-5900 and destroy all copies of this message and any
attachments.