Networker

Re: [Networker] Files that grow during backups?

2004-08-19 17:38:30
Subject: Re: [Networker] Files that grow during backups?
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 14:45:28 -0700

> Hello,
>
> I see these "size grew during save" messages (see below) in various
> savegroup completion notifications. Seems random but haven't really
> analyzed it. Just curious if this is anything to be concerned about?
> Does NetWorker take a look at the size of the file before it goes to
> back it up and then again after?

Yes.  That's what it does.  When it looks at the inode, it'll see the
size and information.

As it reads, it might discover that it actually read more data than was
present at the beginning of the process.

> How does it know.

I assume it just looks.  I'm not certain what you're asking.

Whether it's a concern depends on what you're backing up.  If it's a log
file, no, I wouldn't be concerned.  If it's a binary file, I might be.

>   client:/usr save: Warning - `/usr/var/dt/Xerrors' size grew during
> save
> * client:/usr save: Expected 715116464 bytes for `/usr/var/dt/Xerrors',
> got 715116832 bytes

Log file.  No problem.  Use 'logasm' if you want to silence the warning
for that file.